The Society of Staffordshire Artists (SSA) was founded in 1933 after much discussion between three principal local art groups: the North Staffordshire Art Society, the Staff and Student Society of the Stoke on Trent Art Schools and the New Group. Key promoters of this new organisation were E.N.Scott (Evening Sentinel Editor), G. J. V. Bemrose (Curator Hanley Museum & Art Gallery), Gordon Forsyth (Principal Stoke on Trent School of Art) and Reginald Haggar (Head Designer, Minton Pottery).
SSA’s first exhibition opened on 27th October 1934 at the Museum, Pall Mall, Hanley with many distinguished Staffordshire born or resident artists contributing their work. Ninety-four exhibitors featured in the catalogue including twenty who were former students of the Royal College of Art and several who were Members of the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolour (RI) or Associates of the Royal Society of Painters, Etchers and Engravers (ARE). It was a County Show of high quality art with work from North Staffordshire, Lichfield, Tamworth, Walsall, Dudley and Wolverhampton and the Earl of Harrowby, Lord Lieutenant of the County was its Patron.
Since that time there have been very many successful Society exhibitions staged at a number of public and private venues across the region and it continues to endeavour to “show the best” whenever and wherever these events are held.
Today the Society maintains high standards via an adjudication process for both entry to full Membership and for all work accepted for its exhibitions. Exhibitions continue to be held where Members from both the professional and amateur fields of art display and sell their work.
The SSA “management” Committee look after the day-to-day running of the Society and the Society welcomes new applications from new Members and Friends. Contact Us